Sunday, October 11, 2015

December Journal Start...

I know there are many decisions to be made when starting your December Journal Your Christmas with Shimelle. I want to share with you some of the starts I have made since going through my stash and why.
 
Size of Album
 
The size of album you choose can be for many reasons both practical and personal. For example, someone who is travelling with their journal may choose a smaller size.
 
Through the years I have made several sizes of December Journals. Traditional 12X12 pages, 6X12 pages, multiple sizes of pages in a 12X12 album, pocket pages, etc.
 
This year I am going with multiple sizes of pages 12X12 and smaller, and likely including pocket pages.
 
The reason I chose this size is that it leaves me with lots of flexibility each day, depending on the amount of pictures I am inserting, and the amount of journaling.
 
The reason I choose as large as 12X12 is also because I tend to do a lot of journaling, love journaling, and I have large handwriting.
 
I am also ok with using multiple sized  pages, as I do like the eclectic look of the album when it is done, at least for this particular topic. My style is also somewhat quirky, so the variety of page sizes lends itself well.

 
Binding System
 
As important as the size of your album is the type of binding you want to use...a regular album, coil bound, book signatures, etc.
 
This year I have gone with a 3-ring bound system and made my own front and back covers. I was feeling especially creative this year and wanted to do a custom cover and not be restricted to a certain album size and rings. If the book gets too thick I will bind it with ribbon. I have bound an album with ribbon before, and it worked quite well. This way my binding can be determined later. 
 
This type of binding system also lends itself to the place that I am at in my paper crafts right now. Currently I play with a lot of mediums in my scrapbooks and art journals right now. Therefore, I decided having each page free to work on would suit me best at this time.
 
Here is my front cover. I used a page from Graphic 45 Twas the Night Before Christmas. Cut it apart and re-adhered with gel medium to painted cardstock. I raised the 4 stamps with pop-dots (and you can even see where one has come off.
 
I then added crackle medium, Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays in red, green and gold, Tim Holtz distress ink vintage photo, Inka gold/3D stencil medium in copper, red, green.
 
Once the mediums were dry, I stamped on the Santa's sleigh and reindeer in sepia and wrapped jute ribbon loosely around the perimeter of the page.
 
The clear star is also attached to the album with jute.




I hope you found this inspiring. Happy Journalling to all! See you soon!

10 comments:

  1. That cover is wonderful. I love making my Christmas Journal with Shimelle. Looking forward to seeing your pages as we head for December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! I will keep posting!

      Delete
  2. LOVE - Im a new fan to the blog. Keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sherry, it is pretty comfy here! Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cover! I loved seeing your post and oh yes I'm inspired to get started prepping my album:)
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cover! I'm planning on getting all prepped in November, have other things to do beforehand. Looking forward to your blog updates/posts in the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly gorgeous! Your December journal is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you team Clark! It always seems to be a work in progress!

      Delete